Saturday, July 6, 2019

My Night in the Psych Unit Part 1


***Trigger Warnings*** This post discusses self-injury, cutting, suicidal ideation, and time spent in a psychiatric unit, reader beware

As mention in previous blog, I had an experience with my OCD and OCD meds in 2014 that led to my spending one night in the psych unit at Yale-New Haven Hospital in New Haven, CT. Before I begin this story, I want to acknowledge that my experience is personal and I do not intend to generalize the experiences of individuals who may also have spent time in a locked unit due to mental illness. I also want to recognize that this post may be triggering to those who have personal experiences, direct or indirect with mental illness, psychiatriac hospitals, and involuntary commitments. I want to make clear that I sought treatment myself and made a conscious decision to spend the night in the psych unit because I felt I was a threat to myself. Working in the mental health field for several years, I know that my experience was more independent and person-driven than others' experiences and I want to acknowledge how unique my experience was. That being said, let's start at the beginning. 
 

 
I mentioned in my previous post, that I was officially diagnosed with OCD in 2012 and was treated with Prozac. By Fall 2013, I was on 60 mg of Prozac a day, but also going through a break up, moving back in with my grandmother (with whom I had/have a contentious relationship), and transitioning to working full time as a school counselor in Bridgeport, CT for two Catholic schools. By November 2013, I already felt I was drowning and attempted to be proactive and inform my clinical supervisor. Because I worked in a depressed area with little funds, I was informed there wasn't enough money in the budget to hire the extra counselors I needed to help offset the weekly influx of new students I was assessing for high risk situations, including domestic violence, child abuse/neglect, suicidal ideation, and self-injury. Each week, I was flooded with dozens more students to meet with and assess, all of whom would qualify as high risk and all of whom I was supposed to be coordinating with the Catholic Charities clinic for follow up therapy. Herein lies the problem, the majority of my students were Latinx and Carribbean, two cultures that historically do not feel comfortable seeking counseling, especially not for their children for fear of Department of Children & Families (DCF) involvement, as well as Immigration. In addition, most of the families did not have the means or ability to drive their kids to and from counseling several days a week. It was more convenient and most trusted for the children to see me in their school. So, that's what I did. To my own demise.
 
 

By Christmas break, I was more than burnt out. I was drinking a bottle of wine and binge eating daily all in an effort to fall alseep and escape reality. I would sleep until 2pm on the weekends, eat "breakfast" and go back to sleep. I dreaded work, but worse than that, I dreaded not being at work as I began to feel overly responsible for everyone's well-being and safety. The Friday before Christmas break, I had barely walked in my front door when the prinicipal of the school called to say I should check my work voicemail. An irate parent had left a threatening message in regards to my reporting her actions THAT SHE REPORTED TO ME to DCF. In this voicemail, she threatened to kill me so I felt compelled to save the voice message. Somehow, I still felt "okay" and "in control" of the mounting pressure and debilitating stress. When I returned from Christmas break, I was met with the same unreasonable demands, high risks check ins, and no aid from the mental health clinic I was contracted through. My cancelling weekly supervision with my clinical director due to the overwhelm of high risk families and children should have been an indicator I was drowning. That and the fact that I was actually drowning!
 
 

The following 2 months after returning from Christmas break, things went from bad to worse. I was often at the school from 6:30am to 5pm facilitating calls to DCF and STILL making mandated reporter calls on my hour-long commute home. While this didn't happen everyday, it happened often enough that I was beginning to unravel mentally. In the past, I had struggled with self-harm and I was beginning to have thoughts of self-harm again, for the first time in years. I was on 60 mg a day of Prozac, but often felt emotionally muted and commented that I was unable to emote appropriately to the stress that was happening to me. I was numbing myself with medication, food, and alcohol. 



By February 2014, my only escape was sleeping. I slept all weekend and my grandmother didn't understand or approve of my sleeping the weekend away. Even though I was 32 years old, working full time (and then some), paying rent, and attending to all my other adult responsibilities, my grandmother would come into my room (her reason for "barging in" was "it's my house, so this is my room") and demand I get up. Her reason? "I don't like it. I don't like that you sleep all day." My response was: "I'm depressed." But, after some time, sleep wasn't an escape any longer and the tiny "office" I shared with the school nurse, that wasn't heated (in February...in Connecticut) seemed to be getting smaller and smaller. My world was closing in around me. Everyday, my kids (students) were having crises and I was only one person and I couldn't fix everything. I was constantly afraid of my 8th grade girls killing themselves or my 6th grade boys assaulting another student and somehow it would be: ALL MY FAULT. 
 
 

"All my fault" is classic OCD symptomology. Feeling the full weight of real or perceived responsibility is a crushing obsession to hold onto everyday. Even more crushing is asking for help and being told "there is none." Thinking about something traumatic or tragic happening to one of my students "under my watch" made me so anxious and depressed, I began to concede to this thought: "If one of my student's kills themselves, I'll kill myself. I won't be able to live with myself. So I'll go too." Once that thought became an option, it was somewhat easier to push on. 

On Wednesday February 26, 2014 I started the day like "normal", binging on Dunkin Donuts and coffee while listening to NPR on my way into work. I was still exhausted from the previous day and already exhausted from my upcoming day. Around 7:30am, one of my 8th grade girls came in with a crisis. She had been harming herself. More specifically cutting herself. Instantly I was triggered. I remember thinking "I'm going to cut myself when I get home today. I want to die." I barely held it together the remainder of the work day. I wrote my hours and hours of notes (by hand). I got in my car. I drove home, silent tears streaking my face, numb and powerless. I walked into the house and cut my legs up. I don't want to go too into detail about the self-injury itself because it can still be triggering for me, but I knew I wanted to do more and I knew I wouldn't be able to stop myself. And I scared myself bad. I called my uncle and calmly stated "I cut myself and I need to go to the hospital." He instinctively knew the cut was self-inflicted because when I climbed into his huge pick up truck, he said "Yale Psych?" and I replied "Yeah."

I approached the check in counter and stated "I cut myself. On purpose. And I feel like I'm going to do it again." 


No comments:

Post a Comment