Monday, November 19, 2018

I Refuse to be the Token Fat Chick to your Basic Bitch

I have perpetuated the same toxic friendship pattern since middle school, but in my adulthood this cycle has become debilitating. In my 20's, I came out as bisexual and for my straight gal pals, being in a same sex relationship and chubby made me an easy target for toxic friendships. Looking back, I now see that it was mainly due to two things: 1) I was still insatiably trying to become friends with "the cool girls" and therefore eager to please and 2) I was non-threatening to these straight girls. I wasn't going to steal their boyfriends, I was the Rebel Wilson and Melissa McCarthy to their Anna Kendrick and Sandra Bullock. I was "the funny one", provided comic relief from the chaos of their lives. Because I was in serious and long term relationships, I think I was viewed as a non-sexual being. Less than human. A side kick. Especially since my sex life typically involved other women, my straight gal pals didn't want to include me in loose talk. There is a formula to these women that I have uncovered and I apologize in advance if this describes you. This is not a judgment, I promise, merely an observation. 
The formula looks like this:

1. Straight Cis Female
2. Around my age, but maybe 5-7 years younger
3. Serial dater, but falls in love with every man they date no matter how little they know him or how much time they have spent with him
4. Has had a few long term relationships, but routinely cheats on them all in the name of finding love
5. BUT is constantly worried she is being cheated on and checking his emails and texts are commonplace, even accepted as "this is what it's like to date me"
6. Is above average on the attractiveness scale and puts a lot of time into looks; spending money they don't have on blow outs, make up, clothes, but can barely pay rent or buy groceries...
7. Which leads to their beau of the moment being a semi-sugar daddy, picking up the rent because she spent $150 on a mani/pedi (further justifying the cheating "You know I don't LOVE Tom, but he's paying my car insurance right now so I can't break up with him yet, plus I'm pretty sure Derek is the one...")
8. She tolerates (and I use that word loosely) my lack of style, even though she secretly wishes she had the confidence to go to a bar in flannel pj pants and a ripped tank top
9. She attempts to "make me over" at first casually suggesting "Wouldn't it be fun if we straightened your hair?!" to less subtle "That shirt is fucking hideous!" (justifying the last statement as "The Cosmo talking!")
10. She uses me as her wing woman in bars because she believes I am too gay, too chubby, or too fucking hideous to attract attention for myself
11. And last, but absolutely not the least, she uses me as her own personal therapist. I am who she calls for every drama, from small to catastrophic (which are one in the same to her). She insists on my feedback for every decision she makes. She consults with me on matters of career choice, boyfriend, mom drama. And this-THIS-is where she gets me. That teenage girl who still lives inside me, the one who wore Enya tee shirts in middle school and mismatched socks on purpose, is thrilled at the idea of one of the beautiful people giving me attention. One of the beautiful people calling for my advice. I seem important to her. I get nicknames and labeled "best friend." I spend vacations with her and have the sleepovers in my 20's I always wanted as a kid. I get to escape my life through her drama. It's like watching a live version of Scandal, I seemingly get all the benefits without any of the risks. 

This woman is not as superficial as she may sound. She is typically college educated with career aspirations, BUT her main goal *right now* is to find a man and have kids. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that goal. I am all about choice and following your heart and if your dream is to be married and have a family-go for it. No shade, honest. What this post is addressing is the way these women have treated me and I'm going to guess many of you. Treated like we are commodities. Like we have nothing better in our lives than to help them navigate their every decision. And this is where the revelation comes in, usually about 6 months to 1 year into the friendship: This woman could not give two fucking shits about my life. These thoughts start occurring to me: She never asks how I'm doing and when she does, there's no follow up the next time we talk. She spends HOURS on the phone talking about her relationship, but when I get to talk about mine, she has to hang up within 10 minutes. She asks me for my advice an awful lot but doesn't seem to heed any of it. She continues to ask me to join her for things she knows I'm not interested in (hot yoga, getting our hair styled, clothes shopping) but won't even consider doing things I enjoy. We used to talk all the time, now she only texts when she's having boy drama. Where is this friendship going? Why do I feel worse after being around her instead of better?

Why indeed.

Friendships should be re-energizing and empowering, not depleting and exhausting. You should feel lifted up being around your "best friends" not feeling fat or unworthy. You shouldn't feel honored to be graced with a phone call from her, you should feel like you are on an equal playing field.

Now, this is where I acknowledge my role and responsibility in the friendship dynamic. I perpetuated this pattern because I began the friendship feeling less than and I put that energy out there. I didn't set boundaries or assert myself, because I felt "lucky" to even have one of the beautiful people paying attention to me. Because my self-esteem was so low, I didn't feel I deserved to be treated as an equal in a friendship. I also form bonds fairly quickly with people and most times these friendships are spawned from a working relationship. If you spend 8+ hours a day with someone, you tend to have a connection with her. You "get" each other's daily struggles and plights. You bond over the inconsistencies of your work environment, the annoying and boring staff meetings. But, once that work relationship ceases to exist, there is little common ground to keep the friendship going. I end up realizing fairly quickly how little I had in common with this individual. Aside from work, what did we have? Not a whole lot. 

It's a hard pill to swallow coming to terms with your "best friend" essentially being a stranger, someone who doesn't really understand or know you. It's hard realizing the amount of time, effort, and energy you put into the friendship wasn't reciprocated and you begin to question your own judgment and ask yourself How did I get myself into this? And once you have these insights, it's never as easy as ending the friendship. Female friendships and their complex dynamic have been written about ad nauseum. It's expected, almost, to keep up the image of a friendship even when you're heart's not in it anymore. And social media keeps up appearances far longer than the friend feelings. So how do we make peace with the assumption that girl friends are supposed to exist indefinitely even when the friend feelings have faded? How does one confront the end of friend feelings and break up with a friend in a kind and honest way?


2 comments:

  1. I think sometimes breaking up with a friend is necessary. lol. Or at least transitioning the relationship to something that actually works - maybe that's limiting it to nothing, honestly. It's easier said than done. Once Michael broke up with a friend. I though it was so brave. lol. He emailed him and just said - I feel like you want more out of this than I am able to give, and I can't do it anymore. I don't have any bad feelings toward you, I just can't sustain the level of friendship you seem to want from me. It went kinda well, actually. I think a lot of this friends are forever stuff comes out of upholding romantic and/or sexual relationships as the only ones that "really matter". So it's okay to ghost a friend or breadcrumb them or whatever. But really, it's probably kinder to be like - hey I don't think I can do this anymore - not this way -what do we both want?

    ReplyDelete